Mercedes-Benz COMAND-APS 2/06 - 25/06 Firmware Update Instructions (R230/W220/W215)
Functional Description for COMAND Unit
for COMAND - APS Head Unit
SW 22/06 - 25/06
A 220 589 05 22 00
(Additional Details Available here) https://w220.wiki/MOST_COMAND-APS
COMAND Navigation Radio
220/215 as of 2004 <
R230 as of 2005 <
- 2004 - 2006 W220 S430 S500 S55 AMG
- 2004 - 2006 W215 CL430 CL500 CL55 AMG
- 2005 - 2008 R230 SL500 SL55 AMG
The following setting could be lost after a software update with version 22/06 – 25/06
- Audio Pre-Settings (Bass / Tremble / Fader) in all audio applications
- Radio Presets (AM / FM / WB)
- Any Stored Voice Names
- Time Will Be Set to Default 24-hour Clock
- Display Settings (Brightness / Contrast)
- Language Will Be Set to Default English
- LCT Will Be Set To ‘Not Connected’
- Navigation Settings Including:
- Last Destinations
- Status Line (GPS On/Off)
- Map Icons
- Insert Service Update Disc into COMAND. Update Will Start Automatically
- Head Unit will display the message “Detected Autonomous Service Disc…”
- This message will last for approximately 8-minutes
- The COMAND will Turn Off, and then back ON by itself to indicate that the software update process is starting. (Progress Bar is shown on COMAND display)
- Update is completed after approximately 20 minutes
- After the process is complete, the COMAND will turn off, then will display the message “File System Will Be Formatted. All Data Will Be Lost”
- COMAND will restart again by itself. The Update CD can then be ejected.
The latest COMAND-APS update disk for ECE and US models is W220589052200 released 04/10/2006 and updates COMAND-APS firmware to SW-Rel 22/06 - 25/06.
Insert disk into the head unit and wait until update process finishes.
There have been reports that firmware update is required after phone retrofits to get communication platform functionality recognized. Seemingly there are no visual changes introduced other than a new option in the hidden menu "Copy autostore stations to stat" that copies radio stations found to station buttons.
Software Version in COMAND-APS Hidden Menu
The software version of head unit can be viewed in COMAND-APS hidden menu under "Components -> Media -> Software Versions / ???".
The update disk W220589022200 has been made obsolete by the release of W220589052200 above.
Video in Motion
By default COMAND will not show video (DVD/TV) if vehicle is in motion. There are hardware kits available that on the CAN level block speed signal from reaching the COMAND, however, video in motion can be easily enabled using SDS.